Molarity which is otherwise known as molar concentration, is the number of moles of solute present per a unit volume of solution. It’s represented by the lowercase ‘c’.
Mathematically, c= n/v where ‘c’ is Molarity, ‘n’ is the amount of solute and ‘v’ is the volume of solution.
In the International System of Units (SI) the clear unit for molar concentration is mol/m3. However, this is inconvenient for most laboratory purposes and most chemical literature traditionally uses mol/dm³,
Molarity can be converted to Number concentration when multiplied with the Avogadro’s constant. Also to Mass concentration by multiplying it with the Molar mass of the constituents.
How to calculate Molarity
This outlines a straightforward method to calculate the molarity of a solution.
1. Find the number of moles of solute dissolved in solution,
2. Find the volume of solution in liters, and
Ads: How to create a PayPal account that send and receive funds in Nigeria… Read more
3. Divide moles solute by liters solution.
- A solute – is the substance that is being dissolved such as sugar or mercury.
- A solvent – refers to the liquid that the solute is being dissolved in.[contact-form][contact-field label=”Name” type=”name” required=”true” /][contact-field label=”Email” type=”email” required=”true” /][contact-field label=”Website” type=”url” /][contact-field label=”Message” type=”textarea” /][/contact-form]
- A solution – refers to the mixture of the solvent and the solute so that solution equals solvent plus solute.
1. Calculate the molarity of a sugar solution if 4 liters of the solution contains 8 moles of sugar?
Ads: Do you need a site like this? You want to start a blog or need any kind of website? Chat a professional website designer up today and get a discount on every job you want to do. Chat on WhatsApp
a. 0.5 M
b. 8 M
c. 2 M
d. 80 M
Solution : Molarity = moles of solute/liters of solution = 8/4 = 2M
2. What is the molarity of a solution containing 5 moles of solute in 250 milliliters of solution?
Ads: How to gain more followers on Instagram… Read more
a. 20 M
b. 15 M
c. 0.104 M
d. 1.25 M
Solution: convert 250 ml to liters, 250/1000 = 0.25 then calculate molarity = 5 moles/ 0.25 liters = 20 M
In a case where you are given the Molarity and asked to get either the amount of solute or the volume of solution, you can do simple substitutions to attain that. The most important is that you should familiarize yourself with all the formulas.
Ads: Advertise With Us… Read more
People Are Also Reading
- How To Use Natural Home Products To lighten Your Skin
- How to Care for Your Human Hair
- How to Serve God Faithfully
- How to Greet in a Debate Competition
- How To Lighten Skin Naturally
- How To Move Words In Microsoft Words
- How To Learn English Language
- How To Begin An Essay
- How To Select Multiple Cells In Excel
- How To Fight Poverty In Your Community
Let’s send our tutorials and posts directly to your email inbox, you will only hear from us once in a week. Drop your email below