RAM stands for Random-access memory which is a form of computer memory that can be read and changed in any order, typically used to store working data and machine code.
A random-access memory device allows data items to be read or written in almost the same amount of time irrespective of the physical location of data inside the memory.
RAM allows your computer to perform many of its everyday tasks, such as loading applications, browsing the internet, editing a spreadsheet, or experiencing the latest game.
Memory also allows you to switch quickly among these tasks, remembering where you are in one task when you switch to another task.
Android has always been known to be a not-so resource friendly OS and with every new iteration, the OS requires more RAM to run smoothly.
So, if you have an older Android smartphone with a modest amount of RAM and you feel it’s not performing as well as it used to be, you might need to optimize the device’s RAM.
Here’s how to free up RAM on Android:
1. Check memory usage and kill apps: Firstly, it’s very important to know the rogue apps that are consuming the most memory on your Android device.
Fortunately, Android natively lets you check memory usage.
Ads: Do you need a site like this? You want to start a blog or need any kind of website? Chat a professional website designer up today and get a discount on every job you want to do. Chat on WhatsApp
To check memory, go to Android Settings, then Memory, where you will be shown the average memory usage.
You can then choose to check the average memory usage from the last few hours or even from a day.
To check the memory used by apps, tap on ‘Memory used by apps’, where you will see the average memory usage by the Android system as well as different apps.
name. To kill an app you think might be using too much RAM, hit the three-dot button and hit ‘Force stop’.
2. Disable Apps: While killing apps does free up RAM, it does not necessarily does so for a long time, as apps tend to restart themselves in the background.
So, if there are some un-installable system apps eating up your device’s RAM, you can simply disable them.
Once you disable an app, they won’t be running in the background unless you enable them back. Moreover, those apps won’t even show up in the apps list.
To disable a system app, go to Settings then Apps and choose the app you want to disable.
In the app info page, hit the ‘Disable’ button and tap the ‘Disable App’ option in the prompt.
It’s important to note here that disabling some system apps might result in inconsistent performance, so we’ll suggest it to be done if only it’s really important to free up your RAM, and if it’s the only option available.
3. Don’t use live wallpapers or extensive widgets: There are some very cool Live Wallpaper apps available for Android and while they look awesome, they eat up a lot of RAM, which also results in more battery consumption.
Ads: How to create a PayPal account that send and receive funds in Nigeria… Read more
So, we certainly would not recommend a live wallpaper if you are facing performance issues.
Along with live wallpapers, extensive widgets also use up a lot of RAM, so if you are really serious about cleaning up some RAM on your device, you should only use simple widgets like the music player, calendar etc.
4. Use Third Party Booster apps: There are certain apps that can be trusted to clean up your device’s RAM for better performance.
Apps like Clean Master bring a ton of features to optimize your device’s performance but if you are only looking to clean your device’s RAM, it includes a cool ‘Memory Boost’ feature that lets you free up RAM right from your home screen.
Moreover, it also lets you manage auto-starting apps, so you can disable apps that take up memory right from the start.
Ads: How to gain more followers on Instagram… Read more
Other than Clean Master, there are more RAM cleaning apps like CCleaner, DU Speed Booster and many more.
I’m pretty sure if you’re one that’s always having space issues on your phone, you’d find this very helpful.
How often do you free up your RAM? Let us know in the comment section below.
Ads: Advertise With Us… Read more
People Are Also Reading
- How To Use Natural Home Products To lighten Your Skin
- How to Care for Your Human Hair
- How to Serve God Faithfully
- How to Greet in a Debate Competition
- How To Lighten Skin Naturally
- How To Move Words In Microsoft Words
- How To Learn English Language
- How To Begin An Essay
- How To Select Multiple Cells In Excel
- How To Fight Poverty In Your Community
Let’s send our tutorials and posts directly to your email inbox, you will only hear from us once in a week. Drop your email below