The Widal test is one method that may be used to help make a presumptive diagnosis of enteric fever, also known as typhoid fever.
Widal test is done to diagnose enteric fever (Typhoid and paratyphoid fever).
Widal test procedure involves the serum agglutination test to detect typhoid fever.
Patients who are suffering from enteric fever will carry homologous antibodies in the serum.
Enteric fever includes typhoid and paratyphoid fever.
Paratyphoid fever is milder than typhoid fever.
Enteric fever is also called typhoid fever.
Typhoid fever is caused by the bacterium Salmonella Typhi. Salmonella typhi has an incubation period of 14 to 21 days.
Sometimes may even longer.
30% of the cases become chronic carriers due to persistent infection of the gallbladder.
Ads: Do you need a site like this? You want to start a blog or need any kind of website? Chat a professional website designer up today and get a discount on every job you want to do. Chat on WhatsApp
Enteric fever can be spread through:
1. Food: If food or drinks are contaminated.
Spread from the carrier, who is shedding Salmonella Typhi.
2. Contaminated drinking water: If sewage water is contaminated with Salmonella Typhi.
Typhoid fever is more common in areas of the world where hand washing is less frequent.
Once Salmonella Typhi bacteria are eaten or drunk, they multiply and spread into the bloodstream.
Signs And Symptoms
1. The patient has a fever, and the pattern of the fever is typical.
2. Fever is persistent and does not touch normally. This may be as high as 103 to 104 F.
3. The patient may feel weak.
4. May have stomach pains, headaches, or loss of appetite.
In some cases, patients have a rash of flat type and rose-colored spots.
Here’s how to read widal test report:
The highest dilution of the serum is noted where there is agglutination.
If it ends at 1:320, then that is the titer.
The Widal test is positive
if ‘O’ antigen titer is greater than 1:160, it means active infection.
If the ‘H’ antigen titer is greater than 1:160, it indicates past infection or in immunized persons.
A fourfold increase in the titer (e.g., from 1:40 to 1:160) is diagnostic.
In the acute stage, Antigen O will be positive, and titer will be more than 1:160.
Ads: How to create a PayPal account that send and receive funds in Nigeria… Read more
O antigen appears early and also disappear early.
H antigen rises late and disappears late.
This will be positive in the recovery stage.
Ads: How to gain more followers on Instagram… Read more
This is an indicator of the carrier stage.
The false-positive test may be seen due to cross reacting infections, including malaria.
Have you had a Widal test done? Have you suffered from enteric fever? Let us know in the comment section below.
Ads: Advertise With Us… Read more
People Are Also Reading
- How To Use Natural Home Products To lighten Your Skin
- How to Care for Your Human Hair
- How to Serve God Faithfully
- How to Greet in a Debate Competition
- How To Lighten Skin Naturally
- How To Move Words In Microsoft Words
- How To Learn English Language
- How To Begin An Essay
- How To Select Multiple Cells In Excel
- How To Fight Poverty In Your Community
Let’s send our tutorials and posts directly to your email inbox, you will only hear from us once in a week. Drop your email below